Unavoidable Skin Changes at the End of Life – Are they really pressure injuries?
- Develop a clear anatomic and pathophysiologic understanding of unavoidable skin changes in the terminally ill.
- Develop and promote a universally acceptable term to describe and document these changes.
- Achieve regulatory and collegial acceptance of the above concept, and term, to:
- Enable reimbursement for the care of these (usually facility acquired) skin issues
- Avoid monetary and quality reporting penalties
- Allow appropriate medical-legal defense of these skin changes.